Captain John Steele House - 931 Fell Street
This house, built in 1786, exemplifies the substantial homes owned in the 1700 and 1800s by prosperous merchants and shipyard owners, such as John Steele. The house has been painstakingly restored. Steele operated a shipyard on the waterfront across the street from his house. His partner was Captain Thomas Lambdin, who lived at 802 S. Ann St., now also restored. The honorary title "Captain" was awarded to the shipbuilders, such as Lambdin and Steele, whether they commanded ships or not.